From1898Toward Foundation and the Birth of Kumagai Gumi
Kumagai Gumi began in January 1898 when Santaro Kumagai, a stonemason from Fukui, received an order to construct the waterway for the Shukununo Power Plant, which would be just the third power plant in Japan. Thereafter Santaro would hone his skills and gain trust through various construction projects throughout Japan including railways and power plants, and then in January 1938 he took the first step toward modern management by reorganizing into a joint-stock company.
- Founded Kumagai Gumi
- Construction completed of the Shukununo Power Plant (Construction started in November 1897)
- Sanshin Railway (currently the JR Iida Line) completely opens
- Kumagai Gumi Co., Ltd. established (Capital 400,000 yen)
- Company regulations established (Revised in 1946, Corporate Philosophy)
- Tasaburo Kumagai appointed as president, Santaro Kumagai appointed as chairman