From2001Difficult Period and Toward Recovery
Kumagai Gumi faces the most serious management crisis since its founding caused by its large-scale real-estate investments during the economic bubble. The company entered new construction fields, such as mobile communication towers and wind and solar power generation facilities, to proceed with thorough management reforms and survive the construction downturn. The company also began developing new technologies in preparation for the next generation, such as unmanned construction. In 2014, Kumagai Gumi completed the retirement of preferred shares, which are a type of financial support, and thus completed its restructuring thanks to the support of many people.
- Citizens Plaza Joetsu, the first PFI in Japan, opens
- Capital reduced due to deficit disposition (Approx. 33.4 billion yen → Approx. 3.3 billion yen)
- Capital increased by issuing preferred shares Approx. 3.3 billion yen → Approx. 13.3 billion yen),
and the real-estate business, etc., were spun off as new companies
- Opening of TAIPEI 101, the tallest super high-rise building in the world at the time
- Hiroshi Oota appointed as president
- Construction completed of the Kanazawa Outer Ring Road Wakunami Tunnel using the PSS-Arch method for the first time in the world
- Construction completed of the Tohoku Shinkansen Sanbongi Tunnel using SENS, a new tunnel construction method that combines NATM with shields, for the first time in the world
- Kumagai Gumi was the first in the construction industry to be certified as an "Eco-First Company"
- Yasushi Higuchi appointed as president
- Retirement of all preferred shares completed
- The Kumagai Gumi Group Vision announced
- Participation in the Hong Kong Eastern Harbour Crossing Tunnel (undersea tunnel) MOM business
- Mascot character "Kuma Shocho" (Works Chief Kuma) established
- Established business and capital partnership with Sumitomo Forestry Co., Ltd.
- 120-year anniversary since founding
- Yasunori Sakurano appointed as president.
- Rebuilding of the Fukui Head Office completed *Opened on September 6th